Friday, March 23, 2007

End of Hilary and Information on Placements

Finally, exams were completed today and its the end of Hilary. Though we have couple of assignments due, I will be finishing everything by this week end. Except for Financial Management, there were no big surprises in the exams. Since a lot of people who got admissions in Oxford are now in a phase where they are taking a decision to pay initial deposit to confirm their admission, based on many requests in mails, I am here with sharing my experiences about career management that you can do while you are at SBS. Disclaimer is that these are my PERSONAL VIEWS.

First things First: There are some prerequisites that one need to work on before they arrive here at SBS:
1. Decide on what career path you want to take - You have only 1 year and if you are jumbling across Management Consulting or Investment Banking or Industry once you come here, you will be left soon without any options and in a complete chaos.
2. My advise is to not change your sector. I know 90 out of 100 will say, then why do MBA? First of all I wanted you to ask yourself why change sector? MC or IB are so sexy because there is a lot of money that once can earn. But, be practical. On an average people coming to SBS are having an average experience of 6 years. If you work for 6 years in a particular sector then why change your sector and reduce your value in the market? If you work in the Industry and wanted to move to MC, you might have some probability of getting in. If you are from IT and getting into a 1 year program to work in MC firms, I would say you have chance of 1 out of 100. What ever crap MC companies boast about their process, the fact is that they are least bothered about people worked in IT as IT people dont carry industry experience with them .
3. Be prepared with your CV even before you come to Oxford. Start working on your CV right from Aug - Sep.

What to do once you are here:
If you have less experience (till 4 years), try Analyst jobs at MC or IB firms. Most of the activity for this will happen during first term at the University, with no involvement from SBS. Now, big problem for people is to apply for these jobs is that egos come into play that we are MBAs, then why apply with graduates. In UK what I saw was that a lot of firms look at graduates and post graduates at the same level (by Post Grads, I mean Masters other than MBA). Only few firms have special entry points for MBAs, but if you have experience in other sector and wanted to move across, applying to Analyst roles will be a best option than competing with other MBAs who might have experience in relative fields

What can you expect from school:
The Opportunities to network. There will be innumerous events that will be happening. Some may help you and some may not. In general, I observed that if you are looking at Finance and Entrepreneurship you will have many options that you can work on. The events related to others are relatively lesser in number

What should I do if nothing is happening in sector I wish to work
Leverage the brand of Oxford and you start doing things on your own. After all we have so much experience and maturity that one need not spoon feed us every thing.

So, does this mean that careers service do nothing?
Well, they will coordinate and do their best to help you to get any contacts in the firms that you are looking for.

What about companies coming to campus?
A lot of firms come and present only to give a corporate pitch. They will ask you to apply online typically. SBS is working with companies to have a specific recruitment for SBS students. Few companies do come to campus and do the interviews. Recent examples are P&G, Std Chartered and Tech Mahindra. But, this activity is low.


What about Judge, Manchester, LBS, Insead etc.,
As far as I understood by interacting with current students at all these schools, I found that things are more or less similar. The main problem is that most of the firms dont have an MBA program in place. BT is an example on what happens if a firm has specific program for MBAs. US is better comparitively because they have these programs.

So what do you say finally?
I would say MBA is beyond placements. I personally believe this way of getting jobs helps one to develop his skills better. At the maximum, any careers service can get you contacts in a firm to send your CV and the rest is on you to get that job. I believe only 5-10% of effort is needed in getting that contact and so I personally dont mind whether I am receiving that from careers and doing it myself

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Nags,

I'm Ravindra and will be coming to Oxford. I went through your blog and I'm a little bit concerned when you wrote "If you are from IT and getting into a 1 year program to work in MC firms, I would say you have chance of 1 out of 100"

I'm from IT background with a total exp of 4 yrs and as present working in a job almost similar to IT cosultant in Telecom industry. My future plan is to go into managment consulting but for IT services(bcz of my previous exp). I want to keep IT consulting(business development) on side of it(back up).

Please put ur opinion on how feasible my future plans are, considering my exp.?
Will it be possible to take electives for both kind of consultings(Management & IT) together?

I can call you if you don't mind to clear my views.

Thanks a lot!!

Regards,
Ravi

12:11 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

Overall your tone is rather negative - it is as if students are left to fend for themselves and they 'may' get something or 'may not'. What I am reading is that career placements in US schools is terrific this year with multiple offers for every student, so are you saying SBS is very poor compared to that? I feel this is discouraging for students who put in lot of money so they can do an MBA and ultimately a better job.

1:40 PM

 
Blogger S said...

Ravi

you can give me a call to discuss in detail

2:06 PM

 
Blogger S said...

Hello Anonymous

I can write hundreds of things to say that Oxford is tremendous in terms of placements to create an illusion as the people who might have created about US placements, that you have read. But, reality is that Indian and US economies are booming at this point of time. One cant compare UK MBAs with those, in terms of PLACEMENTS from the school. Again its not about getting multiple offers as I am sure people in Oxford also will manage at the end of the day. The question is who are laying down effort to do that?? In Oxford it will be YOU where as in India it will be the placements offices.

And most importantly if are not confident that you can get a job after MBA, I suggest dont do an MBA

2:14 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Nags,

Thanks for quick reply. I'll give you a call in some time.

Regards,
Ravi

4:17 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi nagendra,
I am having my doubts about Oxford and wondering if a US bschool would be better.
I would love to chat with u or call u some time.

Pls let me know how?

I have an admit from the following
Oxford - Said
HEC paris
Austin Texas - McCombs

8:29 AM

 
Blogger S said...

Hitesh

You can give me a call to clarify your doubts

Nagendra

8:32 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow- I came here after seeing a thread in BW forums...maybe you don't agree, but your post is being perceived as negative for Oxford hopefuls. I agree with another poster, while we're hearing about recruitment boom in US and also pretty good scehdule in INSEAD, your post on Oxford makes it look weak...maybe we're reading the tone wrong...

3:47 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nagendra,

I am one of the Cambridge (Judge) guys and after the varsitiy match I was crawling some oxford blogs so see what you guys are blogging about ;-)
Anyhow, came across your blog which I like a lot.
Also, your comments on careers and job search are 100% in line with my perception in Cambridge. Can't tell about INSEAD of LBS - they SEEM to be better, but that could be illusion.
Overall it seems that Cambridge and Oxford are very similar in most aspects. Jobsearch wise I don't think that there's a difference. The networks will be slightly different, but in the end, as you said, it is up to the individual to find the best jobs.

I don't think your post is overly negative; it is realistic

David

1:55 AM

 
Blogger ramkiran said...

Hi Nagendra,
where are you working now?

Ram Kiran

4:32 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home