Monday, December 12, 2005

Some Decision Finally....

Finally I have decided to take up ISB to Oxford(Two Clauses though : Firstly I need to get into ISB and Secondly I am preparing my applications for Wharton and Kellogg for R2, if I am successful in them I will leave ISB)

So the algorithm chart goes like this:

Admitted @ ISb --> Pay 1.5 Lakhs and apply to Wharton and Kellogg R2 ---> If I get an admit from these 2, forfeit 1.5 Lakhs and go to them
--> If I dont get admit, continue in ISB

Not Admitted @ ISB --> Pay 3.4 Lakhs to Oxford and still apply to W/K and just see where it goes from there

To reject something,though I havent literally done so, is a tough one and u need to think a lot. The reasons for me rejecting Oxford are:
1. Some how I dont see UK as an alternate to India or US for a long term career
2. I havent thought of a career in UK. My plan is to work for 5-10 years overseas and then return back to India. Any American school can provide this option for me. Even @ ISB, I had fair chances of doing so. UK or I would say London is best for people in finance and I am not chosing finance, so dearth of jobs will be there down the line when market is not doing good. Also UK is not as open/free economy as US when it comes to job situation
3. Financial resources - I regret to say this, but this is a poor job from Oxford. No response from HSBC and thats not a guaranteed loan as told in website. Not much of other loans/scholarships available. So a typical indian student like me need to take lot of guts to pay initial deposit of 3.5 lakhs and then look for loan. They need to do 2 major changes to be student-friendly:
a. Allow students to apply to HSBC loan even before initial deposit is made, so that we can take decision based on HSBC's approval or rejection
b. They mentioned that scholarships will be announced in April. If I get a tuton waiver now, I will take a decision. I cant wait till April by paying fees now expecting a tuition waiver to plan the things. I dont see any subsidy for people applying in R1.
Also, they need to allow prospective students to talk to current students. I mailed them about this and no response. I called them up and they told I can only talk to them after I pay the initial deposit. This is absurd.

Any way, now I am more looking to complete essays of Wharton and Kellogg and see where I stand in those schools. I am hoping for the best to be in either best schools in US or the best school in India

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home