Tuesday, April 03, 2007

My previous post on Placements

hmm!! I am not sure if I have sounded that negative with my post that lot of people pinged me to find out if the post is REAL NEGATIVE. I have just checked a thread in BW forums to compare between Ox and Cam job offers after MBA, based on my previous post. My intention was to just to inform incoming students about how they are going to get job offers rather than whether they are going to get job offers or not!!!!!

In a nutshell, my previous post means that you need to do good amount of networking to get your dream job rather than relying on careers services. And people comparing US schools and Insead to mention things are great there. Keeping all the hype aside, I am very curious if people who are mentioning this enquired about Indian nationals or foreign nationals in those US schools or Insead. Particularly, I am very curios to know how many Indians in US are sponsored H1s by companies to stay back or how many people in Insead are sponsored work permits by any firms. The REAL TRUTH is that very few people would have been sponsored visas to work with them. Infact I have been rejected by 3 firms so far though they liked my profile because they want to take it forward only after I get my HSMP.

And again, the quality of education, the brand, the networking opportunities etc., take a front seat for me than job offers. Ofcourse careers data is important but not to an extent to override others. And my experience just means that you need to work hard to grab that dream job rather than just selling on school's brand. Think of it: Do you wanna sell yourself or do you want school to sell you?, do you just wanted to contact HRs with the help of careers service or do you want to contact the REAL PERSON whom you will be working with, with the help of a networking opportunity??

And there are no free riders....Either its US B School or UK B School or IIMs or ISB or what ever, your experience is very important and your one year's MBA will not change what you are in the past.

Hope I am clear now as I complete my century (100 posts)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nags,
I completely agree with u r comments.the situation in mbs is also same/similar.
good luck
bhaskar

2:13 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, too...you perfectly clarified...and I hope to get in at Oxford and to have that type of great education, really. I believe anyhow that SBS is such a great place!

Anvedi

10:51 AM

 
Blogger Clear Admit said...

Hi Nagendra! As you may have seen in our blog earlier today, your blog has been nominated for Clear Admit's annual Best of Blogging Awards. You can find more information about the contest and a complete list of the nominees at http://blog.clearadmit.com/2007/04/best-of-blogging-nominees-2007/.

Input from the nominees is a key part of establishing the final ranking, so we'd love to have you participate. If you're interested in voting, simply email us at bestofblogging@clearadmit.com to receive a ballot.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Best,
the Clear Admit team

12:12 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nagendra,
Your post very clearly shows the limitation of a school like Oxford. While schools in the US have had a bumper year, SAID grads are left to fend for themselves. Then why exactly do you have a career services?? Even schools in India have had a great year. I think its time SAID revamped its career office, if it wants to compete with the likes of LBS, INSEAD and IMD.

3:34 AM

 
Blogger S said...

Dear HBS:

Its easier to draw a rosy picture. I know what is the placement scenario at European B Schools including Insead and LBS, as I have met students at those schools.

In fact its not about what I understood by meeting them, its what is stated in their placement reports:

Through Careers Services:

Insead: 54% through careers services and internships
http://www.insead.edu/mba/docs/Career_Report_2005.pdf
And 90% students placed within 3 months

LBS: 58% through careers services and internships http://www.london.edu/assets/documents/PDF/CS_MBA_2006_Employment_Report_030107.pdf
And 96% students placed within 3 months

SBS: 56% through careers services and business projects
https://sbs-eclipse.sbs.ox.ac.uk/new_careersintranet/SID248_Placement%20report%2007.pdf
And 92% students placed within 3 months

Through Networking:

Insead: 26%
LBS: 28%
SBS: 22%

You can clearly see that there is nothing much to draw from these figures and I see that it will be more or less this year.

My post is to emphasize the importance of networking and also to reduce the hype that is typically generated about these b-schools. I dont wanna compare it with US and India B-Schools where perception of MBA is better and program is 2 years (you have better chances to do internships and more time to connect with employers), as it doesnt make much sense.

Regards
Nagendra

3:57 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home